A day in the life of an interpreter
Take a look below at two typical days – before and after RSI. Which one do you prefer? For both days there is a nice work-satisfaction, but life holds other aspects as well.
Interpreters live exciting lives. No two days are the same. They are always on the go and they are their own masters with a lot of freedom – and how about their life-work balance.
Take a look below at two typical days – before and after RSI. How do they compare? For both days there is a nice work-satisfaction, but life holds other aspects as well.
- 4:30 The alarm goes. Breakfast. Bag packed.
- 5:00 No taxi, no Uber – some misunderstanding.
- 5:20 Off – but late – traffic intense, in spite of early hours. The whole city seems to be going to the airport.
- 7:00 Airport, fast-track, slow security, take-off, 90 minutes flying time – final preparations for today’s meeting.
- 9:00 Uneventful transit from airport to conference center. In place at conference, hello to colleagues in other booths.
- 9:00-12.30 Busy conference, many presentations. Some have changed, since they were sent to the interpreters.
- 12:30-13:30 Lunch break in conference site.
- 14:00 Text from baby-sitter – suspicion of mumps (Concentration disturbed).
- 17:00 Conference finished. Off to airport, fast-track, security.
- 18:30 Flight cancelled. Waiting time.
- 20:30 New flight.
- 23.30 Home – no mumps – just a virus.
- 00:30 Relax and finally to bed.
- AFTER RSI
- 7:00 Breakfast with family.
- 8:30 Getting ready for meeting, checking software and documents. Connecting with technicians and colleagues in other locations.
- 9:00 Meeting launched. Hiccups in technology. Problems solved within 20 seconds.
- 11:00 Meeting finished. Feedback from participants positive.
- 11:00-13:00 Preparation for next meeting. Administrative work, calendar, planning.
- 13:00 Getting ready for meeting, checking soft-ware and documents. Connecting with colleagues in other locations and technicians.
- 13:30 Meeting launched.
- 14:00 Text from old client: emergency meeting called for 21:00. Yes, I am available.
- 16:30 Meeting finished.
- 18:00 Homework with kids and dinner with family.
- 23:00 Good night.
WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER?